Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Therapeutic Heat

Ever get your shoulders and chest all in a wad, and you just can't get comfortable? That's been my experience all too often over the last 20 years. Now and then I get a break from shoulder pain and tightness for days, or weeks at a time, but stress always brings it back.

I've been attempting to achieve more life balance lately (you may have noticed I've been absent from the blogosphere for a few weeks) and that has certainly helped a lot.

But I've also been traveling, and that involves toting heavy bags and other various aggravations, which can bring back some of the upper body pain.

Along my travels I stopped at a friend's house and he had this great thing, a Bed Buddy, which you heat up in the microwave for 2 minutes. It provides moist heat. For me, moist heat is very therapeutic.

And using this thing, which stays warm for a while, means I don't have to worry about falling asleep with the heating pad on and starting a fire. It wraps nicely around the neck, filled with little beads of some sort (clay?). And it comes in various shapes, for different body parts- lower back, lower abdomen (for menstrual discomfort), neck, upper back. Very affordable as well.

I ordered one for myself and it was there when I got back home. Just took it off, in fact.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the great suggestion. I'm sitting on my bed buddy right now..(that doesn't sound right, does it? lol) My right leg doesn't want to function today.

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

i like mine so much i packed it in my suitcase even though it adds 2 pounds. worth it! :)