Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Lupus and sleep

Question:
Does lupus cause extreme need for sleep?

{This was so succinct I did not know whether they were asking on their own behalf and they were just too tired to type anything further... or whether they had a friend or relative show sleeps a lot and they were either concerned or suspicious. So I answered it assuming they were asking on their own behalf.}.
 
Hello-

Thanks for your question.
Yes lupus causes fatigue, sometimes extreme fatigue, and definitely requires that you get plenty of sleep, more sleep than you normally would, especially when the lupus is "flared up" (really active).

If you can get the lupus under control, you may not need quite the large amounts of sleep you do when you're flared up. But it is very important to get as much sleep as you need when you have lupus.


Allow me to also point out there is a trap of sleeping to avoid things, because you're depressed. Only you can really know when you've crossed the line between taking care of yourself and avoiding life.


(Thoughts on sleep, anyone? Comment below!)

Carla Ulbrich

The Singing Patient: Author, Humorous Songwriter and Entertainer

_____________

www.thesingingpatient.com - performance  info and dates

www.youtube.com/user/carlaulbrich - funny songs

www.linkedin.com/in/carlaulbrich

www.twitter.com/singingpatient

"I am reading Carla's book How Can You NOT Laugh at a Time Like This? and loving it. I LOVE Carla's songwriting, so I'm not surprised that her prose writing is as smart, funny, and insightful as her music." - Christine Lavin

get Carla's book! http://tinyurl.com/348hroc

4 comments:

Observations of a Crazy World said...

I love sleep and never seem to be able to get enough. I have also fallen into that trap of sleeping to avoid lupus on occasion. It is something we really need to keep an eye on and avoid at all costs! But I have come to learn that my body will tell me when I have gone too far or done too much. The most valuable lesson any lupus patient can learn is to listen to your own body!

Tony Madureira said...

Excelente!
voltarei.

Tony

Erin said...

I know for myself, that I require at least 8-9 hours of sleep to feel somewhat normal. I feel BETTER if I get about 9-10. Before I started getting my first lupus symptoms I would do fine with just 6-7 hours of sleep.

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

so true, Erin! agreed 100%!