Friday, September 2, 2011

Why Do More Women Than Men Get Autoimmune Diseases?

Interesting question, isn't it?

OK, I stole this question from another article, but believe me, the question has crossed my mind many times, as well as anyone else's who's been to any autoimmune support group.

9 out of 10 lupus patients are women.

Slate.com attempts to throw some theories out there in this article http://www.slate.com/id/2302917/ as to why more women than men are suffering from these diseases. (Just to be clear, I don't want more men to get these diseases...) :

Theory 1: Estrogen vs. testosterone. Estrogen boosts immune response to infection. Testosterone suppresses it.

Theory 2: Genetics. Women have 2 X chromosomes; Men 1X, 1 Y. That 2nd X has something to do with immunity.

Theory 3: microchimerism, the presence of someone else's cells in your body.This happens during pregancy and birth.

IMO, only the first theory makes any sense.

The second theory is too vague, and just another stab-in-the-dark, blame-everything-on-genetics-without-any-actual-proof statement.

The third theory is based on the assumption that all women are or will become pregnant. a great many women with autoimmune disease have never been (and may never be) pregnant. And what about those who get the disease before getting pregnant? And what about the 10% of lupus patients who are guys who are extremely unlikely to have ever been pregnant? Doesn't hold up. I hope no one is pouring money into researching this theory.

Which theory would I would follow down a rabbit hole with my resaerch dollars? Theory 1, based on the difference in hormone levels. It meshes with the patient demographics- most women develop these diseases in the years their estrogen is highest, age 20-40.

And, since we're looking for things girls have that guys don't here are some other theories about the causes of autoimmune disease:

1) slumber parties
2) pillow fights
3) bras
4) lacy underwear
5) lipstick
6) barbie dolls
7) gossip

Who wants to fund my research on whether gossip causes lupus? Rumor has it, it does...

_______
Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient
_____________
www.thesingingpatient.com
www.bestpossibleme.com - health coaching
www.youtube.com/user/carlaulbrich - funny songs

4 comments:

Leann said...

Excellent observations! My only other question would be the question of heredity. Could issues with estrogen be a family issue? I agree - I will give you the $25.00 in my checking account to further your research! Rock on!

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

Hi Leann- perhaps we will know in time about heredity, because they are certainly researching it. The tricky thing about observations such as so many people in one family developing autoimmune disease is that not only do they share DNA, they also share an environment (toxins, pollutants, allergens) and usually a diet as well.

Of course I'm not a scientist. I just play one on my blog.

Lois said...

Carla, i was diagnosed at a time when there was absolute turmoil in my life. I was in grad school, hated my job but needed it. Had just recovered from a major natural disaster- lost my house of 3 months. Lab results were just above the normal and I was placed on hydroxychloroquin. I think my trigger was unresolved stress. There are people who are prone to autoimmune illnesses that are pushed over the edge by events in their lives.

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

well said Lois. Hearing your circumstances, I'm sorry to hear but not surprised your health suffered.

I agree, and research agrees, that all diseases are exacerbated, even caused, by stress. At some point, the body just says "enough!" and it snaps.

Disease just needs the right environment to get a foothold, and stress helps create it. As does poor diet, which unfortunately, often happens when you are stressed because there's no time to eat and cook well when you're running around putting out fires.

I think I will do some research and post on stress again- and get folks talking about it. Thank you.