Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Smoothies- good for you?

In an attempt to get more fruit into my diet, I've been making lots of smoothies at home. I know what goes into them when I make them: fruit, ice, and a little rice milk. That's it.
Well, America, do not assume that is what goes into a smoothie at the mall. All smoothies are not created equal. Your mileage will most definitely vary. I was on a long trip, searching daily for something to eat that wasn't bad for me. The Luna bars in my suitcase were the healthiest things I had for 10 days. I went to many places looking for smoothies and nearly all of them were made of 8 ounces of sugar water, some ice, and a few berries. That is not health food. It is one step above Kool-Aid.

I have, however, found 2 chains that serve real honest-to-God smoothies: no added sugar, no corn syrup, just fruit and ice, maybe yogurt if you want it.
They are:
Jamba Juice
Smoothie King

If you're not sure what's in it, ask. Is there anything in it besides fruit and ice? Do you put water in it? If they hold up a gallon jug that looks like tea, that's the 8 ounces of sugar water that has no nutritional value whatsoever. Save yourself $7 and have a candy bar. It's about as (un)healthy. Or look around for a Jamba Juice or Smoothie King.
I am not connected to or paid by either company. Just sharing what I'm learning, in my effort to find good food.

6 comments:

*★-La kLaU-★* said...

hi again!
I´m still trying to get in a diet...
it´s so difficult to me...!

im so hungry all the time and im getting so fat!...

my cheeks are growing so much because of the prednisone, and i´m getting a little desperate...

well, i´ll try to eat more veggies and fruit and be patience... thanks for share your experiences...

hugs from mexico!

Diane J Standiford said...

I gave up and make my own smoothies. Great post though.

Herrad said...

Hello Carla,

I passeds on two awards to Diane @Stellar Life and she asked if I could pass them on to you instead.
Which I am very happy to do.
Now I have found your blog I will visit regularly.

If you go to my blog
http://accessdenied-livingwithms.blogspot.com/ you can collect them both.

Have a good day.
Love,
Herrad

caylow said...

hey there, I am also a blogger about living with lupus, living in Oz (http://lupuswolf.blogspot.com/). I enjoyed discovering your blog today, hope to visit again soon!
caylow

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

yes, I make my own smoothies as well. The you really know what's in them! But when i'm traveling, I'm always looking for a chain of restaurants where i can grab something that doesn't have MSG or gluten, or something else gnarly. Especially in an airport- finding healthy food in an airport is a real challenge. I usually pack a luna bar or some nuts. It's not a salad or fruit, but it's better than french fries or pizza.

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

hey, amaiga in Mexico,
I so understand how you feel.
The book I'm reading now, Eat to live, suggests we get all our food from plants: fruits, vegetables and beans (not refried; just cooked). those foods all make you feel full.
Meanwhile, check out this page:
http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

I'm trying to talk my doctor into letting me try this drug, because it is much safer than prednisone and doesn't make you want to eat everything or scream at people. Maybe your doctor will consider it.

well wishes.