Wednesday, May 28, 2008

how much too reveal

Some folks are very open about their illnesses. others refuse to discuss it. i can understand both sides of this. at first, i talked openly about having lupus. but i had so many negative reactions, with folks basically blaming me for getting sick, or worrying it was contagious, or treating me differently, or thinking i was a hypochondriac. One friend even told me to “get over it” because i’d been talking about it for like a year. (well, I still had it, i was still trying to come to terms with it, and those feelings were no less intense one year after diagnosis than they were one week after diganosis.)

I've learned I can’t expect people to get it if they haven’t had to deal with a serious illness. Trying to explain having to budget your energy to someone who's never been ill is like trying to explain to a trust fun baby why you can't just take off work and go to Mexico whenever you like. So, I choose where and where and to whom i speak about this. oddly, i find i can be very open about it online and people don’t attack me online. Usually people are polite in real life and rude online where they can be anonymous, but in the case of illness, i find it to be quite the opposite, because people are frightened by their own mortality and vulnerability, and we are walking reminders of both.

So while i may have come to terms with having lupus, I realize the rest of the world has a long way to go in coming to terms with their own vulnerabilities. My not talking about lupus openly amongst "earth people" has nothing to do with my own acceptance of the illness, as much as not wanting to subject myself to the weird and sometimes cruel responses of others. Which is something I have accepted.

2 comments:

Amy said...

This is so true! I was diagnosed with lupus around Thanksgiving of last year, and had to move back to the state my parents live in. In the process I lost many friends, some of whom thought I might be 'contagious' and were worried about subjecting their children to danger, and others that just could not deal with the idea of a close friend having a life-threatening illness.

Good riddance I say! Sometimes it takes a serious situation to push you to see garbage for what it is, whether you are referring to the quality level of a food or a person! We really do end up cutting through a lot of crap with this disease. Life seems so much shorter and more precious.

Thanks for your blog - I am really learning a lot! Like you, I am very into alternative therapies (I have been getting regular network chiro treatments for the last 6 years, and have seen acupuncturists, naturopaths, psychics, etc in order to figure out the cause of my symptoms. I also have peripheral neuropathy (left side of face is almost numb, along with right hand and bottom of right foot). Thanks again - I'm bookmarking your site. You're a really great writer!

http://www.catchingamy.wordpress.com

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

hey amy thanks for the props!
it's true, a serious illness really can be an opportunity to start with a blank slate an rebuild your life, only on purpose this time.
thanks for reading, and for commenting!