Saturday, November 17, 2007

Winning the hair battle with lupus

One of the toughest parts for us gals with health problems is how disease and the drugs prescribed to us affect our looks. Last year in the hospital, I mentioned to the doctor how I hate the way the prednisone makes my skin and hair all dry and sickly. He started in on the typical lecture about saving my kidneys (heard it before) and I cut him off and said "I know I HAVE to take it. But I don't have to LIKE it!"

He was put off by my frankness and thought I was being obstinate (his words), but since I was trapped on the hall (they don't allow you to wander the hospital) and full of drugs that make me not just unattractive but extremely anxious, to the point of near psychosis, and they don't have any available counselors or psychologists in the hospital... well, how surprised can he really be that once in a while someone blurts out the truth about how they feel?

Alright, so prednisone. Can't live with it (or another human being if you're on 40 mg or more), can't live without it (if you have an autoimmune disease or an organ transplant). At least it's generic and therefore cheap. But short-term it has some horrible side effects: weight gain, mood swings, nasty skin, hair loss, moon face, hump back; and long term, some even worse ones: osteoporosis, cataracts, high blood pressure, diabetes. Swap in one disease, get 4 more, and look and feel like crap in the process. All for only $4 (generic) a month at WalMart! What a deal!

I've been on this stuff 3 times now, for about a year each time. I'm on it right now, so if you don't like this blog, don't tell me about it, because I can't be responsible for my reply. Hey- if someone can get acquitted on the twinkie defense or PMS, why not the prednisone defense? It's much more valid than twinkies. For one thing, I doubt the twinkies were forced on anyone as part of a "take this or die " prescription (more like a “do this often enough and you will die”warning). Think about that.

So anyway, I don't know which causes me to lose more hair- being ill or taking prednisone. All I know is I gotta frequently pull out a blob of hair the size of a small rodent from my shower drain cover. My hair looks frizzy and damaged (probably because it is), and as someone who had long luscious blond hair most of her life, this is hard on my self-image.

So here are a few things I've done to improve my hair situation during my stints of illness/ prednisone hair melee:

1) Leave-in hair conditioner. I get this pantene stuff you can just spray in your wet hair before putting a comb through it. It helps the comb run smoothly through my hair without getting snagged, which reduces a lot of damage. You can also buy Paul Mitchell "detangler" which you use in the shower. Works as well.

2) Air or towel-dry hair before blow-drying, to cut down on blow-dry damage.

3) Do not wash every day.

4) Deep-conditioning like hot-oil or 3-minute deep conditioners. they say do it only once a week but I do it twice a week because my hair is so damaged.

5) Cut off the dead ends. Dead, dry split ends do not make your hair look longer, just more dry and unhealthy.

6) Use control paste (a dab smaller than a dime) to make the ends less frizzy. Rub it between your palms, then work it into your hair, starting from the ends. If you get too much of it near the roots, it makes your hair look greasy and unwashed.

7) Use "shine" or other hair gloss. Again, a dab'll do ya, work it in from the ends. This gives your hair back the "shine" it loses when you're fulla drugs and not metabolizing nutrients normally.

8) Use curlers (NOT hot curlers, but the kind you just put in when you hair is damp and leave in 'til it's dry) for special occasions to make your hair look fuller.

9) Use natural products as much as you can. I use healthy shampoo and conditioner that I get at the health food store or through mail order that has no perfumes or other chemical crap, and instead has tea tree oil/ aloe/ other things that are good for your skin

10) I put a water purifier (this is even better than just a filter- a purifier removes more stuff than just chlorine and lead) for my shower. My hair is softer, and is not being exposed to chlorine and other chemicals every time I shower. it took me 30 seconds to install.

11) Get a GOOD swim cap (like a speedo racing cap) if you swim in a chlorinated pool. Swimming is good for you. Chlorine is not. Anyone remember green hair from childhood summers in the pool?

12) Get a wig. if you're in a stage where you've lost so much hair that you can see your scalp, or you have curly hair growing in under your straight hair and it's making the hair stick straight up (been there, done that!), get yourself a wig. Unfortunately, as of now, "Locks of Love" (the free wigs of donated human hair) are only for cancer patients. But some health care plans may cover at least part of the cost of a wig if your doctor prescribes it as a "necessary cranial prosthesis" (I am not making this up). I was not in such a position (though I did have prescription compression panty hose). So I went shopping with my most princess-y adult friend and got myself a nice discount synthetic wig for $40. I still have it. I was nervous that everyone would know it was a wig. The first day I wore it out, the clerk in the store commented on my great haircut!

13) Then, of course, there are hats and hairpieces. One of my friends who has thin hair - not ill, just born with thin, lifeless hair- had an especially cute 'do one day. I complimented her on it and she told me it was a hairpiece she bought- at the dollar store! For a dollar! I've also seen long and short ponytails at the drugstore for quite reasonable prices. This for special occasions, especially if the hairpiece is heavy and pulls on your natural hair.

14) Color it. Sometimes certain drugs keep your hair from absorbing the dye. And some folks will tell you shouldn't be exposing yourself to more chemicals while you're sick (what do you think all those drugs are?). Maybe they're right. But, looking in the mirror and hating my hair every day isn't good for me either. The way I feel emotionally affects the way I feel physically. And not wanting to leave the house because I feel so unattractive is also bad for my mental health. So for a $10 bottle of highlighter and an hour or so of my time, I go sit outside or in the garage so I don't stink up the house, and change the way I look. It makes me feel more in control of my looks, and I think it came out pretty good this time!

15) Fix it from the inside: take flax seed/ flax seed oil. it makes your hair grow faster and gives it shine. And, it helps keep your regular! Wahoo! A quality mutlivitamin is also a good idea.

16) do NOT get hair extensions or weaves, unless you have permanent hair loss. in the end, getting extensions does a lot of damage to your real hair and eventually you have to cut it even shorter. for those of us with hair loss due to Systemic lupus and/ or prednisone use, the hair *will* grow back. Not necessarily the case if you have the cutaneous (skin) form of lupus.

One thing I regret is not having the brass to tell my family I did not want to have my picture taken the Christmas I was wearing a wig. we only get them done every 10 or so random years. Why did it have to be the year I was sick? Why immortalize that? I say this for my own ears/ eyes as much as for yours: it is your right to say "I'd rather not have my picture taken today. Can we do it on a day when I feel better so it will be a good memory?"

Many good hair days to you all. If you have ideas, please leave a comment!
Carla
www.thesingingpatient.com

14 comments:

macflower said...

Realize it's been a long time since your 07 post, but just came across it. Thanks for your suggestions, most of which I have tried. My third round of prednisone began 2/08 and still on it, but down to 5 mg/day. Hate it, but endure it. I had all same side effects you mentioned. Diagnosed with vasculitis/polymyaligia rheumatica. I discourage photos as they are depressing. Can't be me!!!. What happened to me and where did I go, or go wrong!!

However, dry brittle hair, hair loss, regrowth, color loss, frequent recoloring,puffy face, fat where it never was, achy bone/muscles...I fight them all and keep going, .....do not accept any of them as final, just bumps in the road of life. Could be worse, right?

Thank you for sharing.

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

hey macflower
anyone who says it's just hair has never lost theirs, that's all i can say.
i can relate about the pics- i really hate having my picture taken when i've been on prednisone, or breaking out, or otherwise looking like crap. really, why commemorate that?

at some point i bought a wig, and it helped me be able to go out in public on occasion until my hair came back. i got a $40 wig at some discount wig shop. i still have it. i'm superstitious that if i give it away i'll lose my hair again. :)

hey it happened before- i gave away my prescription panty hose then ended up with kidney failure/ edema again.

i try to love and accept myself no matter how i look. not that i'm entirely successful btu that's the goal. it's against the grain of our culture, but it's essential to survival. i'm not my appearance. there's a "me" under there!

warm wishes-
Carla

*★-La kLaU-★* said...

hi!
my name is klaudya...
im from mexico...
my english is not so good but what i can understand i really like it...

it makes me laugh coz im on it now,,,
but i have to say that my most traumatic thing is my big round and swelled face, and the horrible stretch marks in my breasts and tummy...

well, i was recently diagnosed with SLE, and im trying to understand so many things of this illness... i have to confess that i dont feel well to come back to work looking and feeling like this,,, but some people can´t understand, they think that if you are able to walk and move by your self is enough... but i dont think that way... it´s really hard to explain...


thanks for share all these really good advices... i´ll be around reading you any time i can...

hugs from mexico...

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

hi Klaudya
I do understand. it is hard to go out in pubilc when you don't look your best.

People judge women and value them by how they look, so of course it is important to us to look good.

And no one can just look at you and tell what you feel like when it's lupus. It's not like having a cold, where you look terrible, so people tell you to go rest.

Also, because it is chronic, i think people are afraid if they offer to help, they'll have to help for eternity, because chronic things don't go away.

They just can't have compassion until they have been sick, or have lived with someone else who is really trying and struggling.

You are doing the right thing, reading blogs and looking for people to talk to who understand. You are not alone.

Unknown said...

Hi, I stumbled across your blog to see if anyone has the same problems as me. I jsut turned 18 and have been experiencing lupus all my high school life. U mentioned soemthign about yours kidneys... well my lupus attacked my kidneys as well, but fortunately onyl scarred the outer layer leaving the functioning to still be normal. However, it has been over 6 years and the sid effects from prednisone amongst other steroids has damaged my once silky health among other thigns esp.. denting my self-confidence and belief in any beauty that i once had. Thankfully i only tkae 4mg/day along with other steroids such as mychophenolate and my hair is still pretty much dead to the point that i rarely let it out for the past years.

Thanks for your advice tho.. i will try the deep-conditioning and oil treatments the one thing i hav no used yet!!

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

hey Melissa!
try taking flaxseed
wow does that stuff make my hair and nails grow like crazy.
i bought real flaxseed and ground it up with a coffee grinder and take 1 teaspoon in water/ juice.
I keep it in the freezer so it never goes bad.

Sheena G. said...

Hi. I just read your blog and I can totally relate. I have been taking prednisone and cellcept for two years and have been doing ok since my recent flare. Now I'm back to feeling down and depressed. I'm beginning to start looking bloated and miserable again. It wouldn't be so hard having this illness if we don't have these medicine side effects to remind us of it. Well, I guess that is just the way it goes. I'm just glad that there are many other people who feel the way i do. Makes me feel a little less alone. Thanks :)

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

Hi Sheena! So sorry to hear about how you're feeling. I have been there, several times.
I'm doing really well right now, thanks to acupuncture, and a careful diet that involves no artificial sweeteners (like nutrasweet, aspartame, splenda), no gluten (wheat, oats, barley, rye), and no dairy and no meat. I am not on any drugs right now except one blood pressure drug (I also take MSM, which is a detox herb, and high quality mutlivitamins and barlean's fish oil).

I am feeling pretty good. I work 3 days a week and I've started walking for exercise again. I even take ballroom dancing with my husband.

A great book is "never be sick again" by raymond francis.

Anonymous said...

Hi I've had lupus nephritis for 10 years now and have been on prednisone all those years. Just last year my kidneys weren't doing so well so I began taking 12 prednisone(60mg) for 6 weeks and then slowly reducing. Anyways it made my hair grow at first and then by the time I was at about 6 pills it knocked it all off. Plus my hair looked sick and lost shine and curls when away. Now I've been on 1.5 pill and my hair started to grow a few months back on my hairline where I was bald. Its been the most depressing time of my life my appearance did change. Acne, and red stretch marks all side effects of the prednisone.

What I'm going to try on my hair is great lengths hair extensions, I think it might be a good idea. So if you have lupus and your hair is thin and you're "over it" (but not) look into these extensions they can stay in your hair for 4to6 months.

Thanks hope this helps a bit.

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

Hey there- I am so sorry you're having a rough time right now.
I have been there, with the strong doses of prednisone, the hair loss, and all the other stuff prednisone causes. I hope the hair extensions work really well for you. If you think of it, come back and tell us how it is working out for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey....my name is Lisa. I have lupus as well. I'm 49 and was diagnosed @ 48. I am grateful to say my lupus is not chronic. I take 1 pill a day ( hydroxychloroquine ) , generic for plaquenil...200mg. My hair is thinning on the edges & in the middle. It depresses me terribly. I'm a hair stylist & sad to say ...... I have not found anything tht works. I jus started using Biotin. As well as other hair, nail & skin vitamins. I cry @ times becuz I look in the mirror and my hair is disappearing day by day.

Thank you for your ideas w/the flax seed oil.

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

Hi Lisa- I'm so sorry about your hair. It must be even tougher being a hairdresser. At one time I wore a wig to cover my hair loss, but my hair has always grown back to its full thickness once I got the lupus under control and got off the drugs. My understanding is that placquenil can cause hair loss. So can lupus.
You might consider doing what i did, and going on a gluten-free dairy-free diet. When I did that, all my lupus tests went negative and I was able to get off the lupus drugs. Try going gluten free and dairy free for 7 days. On the 8th day, eat a normal amount of both gluten and dairy. If you have a reaction of some sort, like rashes or joint pain or headaches, then you are allergic to those foods and that could be the root of your autoimmune problems. A gluten free dairy free diet is what I do to keep the lupus tests negative, stay off the drugs, and keep my hair. love and well wishes to you. Carla

Anonymous said...

The extensions went horrible I got fusion (bonds) and I guess my own hair wasn't strong enough so it will simply fall off. Gave me a couple of bald spots and came out of it with shorter hair. Clips are working well and gets me compliments. Xoxo

Carla Ulbrich, The Singing Patient said...

thanks for coming back and letting us know. I'm sorry for your horrible adventure through all that! but glad you found something safer and that gets you compliments!