Thursday, June 18, 2009

Gluten-free pizza!!!

hey you gluten-free pizza lovers!
I just got back from Uno's Chicago grill, where I had my first pizza in a restaurant since going gluten-free last fall.
Uno's is a national chain and they are doing gluten-free pizza right- they take it very seriously. The chef has to change gloves before working with the gluten-free ingredients; the sauces and other toppings for the gluten-free pizza is kept entirely separate from the toppings for the regular pizzas, and the manager personally brings the gluten-free pizza to the table. With all that care, once it arrived, I felt like i was getting the Hope Diamond.

Since going gluten-free, I've been restricting myself when eating out to either eating Japanese food- and i have to bring my own gluten-free soy sauce (most soy sauce has wheat in it for some reason) or mexican food (but not burritos or quesadillas- only tostadas, tacos, rice and beans and corn chips). I also go to Charlie Brown's steakhouse (they're like wildflowers in new jersey)- they have a great salad bar and delicious salmon.

But now I can have pizza. So can you and all your friends with celiac disease or other gluten sensitivities!

Not only that, it gives me another national chain I can search for when traveling.
Thanks, Uno's, for doing this, and doing it right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

To whom it may concern;

I am writing to inform you of our new Gluten free menu. About 4 yrs ago my sister Christine and I opened nebo restaurant at 90 N. Washington St. in Boston’s North End. Nebo is a traditional Italian restaurant offering dishes based on recipes that were passed down from our mother and grandmother. After being open for about a year, two of our closest friends were told they had Celiac disease. We then realized just how many people this disease has affected and the need for an alternative for their dining restrictions. Determined to serve our friends their favorites, we set upon making our menu available in a gluten free form. We are thrilled to say that we have now produced 90% of our menu with the same great taste as our regular menu. We don't think there has been an accomplishment that has brought us more pleasure. If you would like us to forward a copy of our Gluten free menu please send a menu request to nebofunctions@gmail.com .